Note: The outline and order shown here is to help you get a general idea of what we learn in fifth grade. However, please be aware that the exact topics, order and materials used may vary in order to best meet the needs of the 5CK learners.
Unit 1: Identity: Who Am I and What is My Place in the World?
- Explores the multiple dimensions that combine where we are from, our culture and our experiences. Throughout history the meeting of different cultures provides an opportunity to shape the identity of the individual and the group.
- “Becoming Naomi Leon” by Pam Munoz Ryan
Unit 2: Dimensions of Courage
- Dimensions of Courage explores courage that can be seen in everyday life and throughout history. The birth of this nation came through events of courage by people venturing to new lands.
- “My Side of the Mountain” by Jean Craighead George
Unit 3: At a Crossroads: Challenges, Choices & Consequences
- This unit examines decisions that must be made on an individual, group or global level. The choices people make shape their paths and journeys.
- “Red Kayak” by Priscilla Cummings
Unit 4: Moving Forward: Now What?
- In this unit students will synthesize the idea that the nation and its people have had to discover its identity, find and sustain courage, make choices and then move forward and grow with this knowledge.
- “Maniac Magee” by Jerry Spinelli