Recognizing the joy and value of reading, 4C is proud to have a classroom library available to students.
- Guardians are always encouraged to ask their learner what books they are reading and determine if it is appropriate using their judgment as guardians.
- In order to make the library accessible and enjoyable to everyone, the classroom library has a titles on a wide range of topics, reading levels and diverse characters, subjects and plots.
- Because content sensitivities vary greatly, the teacher cannot provide specific recommendations about if a title is appropriate for a child or not, but suggests that guardians try searching the Internet for resources that may provide more insight into the content of a specific title.
- If a student asks the teacher for a suggestion, a suggestion will be made based on the student’s interests and reading abilities only. A suggestion by the teacher is not a recommendation or endorsement of the title by the teacher, however.
Because the classroom library is funded by both past and current student purchases from Scholastic Reading Club as well as the teacher’s personal funds, there are also some basic guidelines for borrowing classroom library materials.
- Students should check out each title they are reading, whether or not they are taking it home or not. The teacher will maintain a digital record of each child’s checkout records.
- Once a student is finished with a title, it should be returned to the teacher. The student should check that the teacher checks the title back in.
- Students should treat each book with care and respect and make an effort to prevent water damage, stains or tearing. A bookmark should be used instead of folding down pages.
- If a title is lost or damaged, the student listed as having last checked it out may be responsible for replacing the title. The student may replace it by purchasing an identical copy from a local or online retailer or through Scholastic Reading Club, if available.
- Students who demonstrate responsible and respectful treatment of books may be permitted to take materials home, but are still responsible for any damage or loss.
- Donations to the library are always welcome and any titles donated can include a notation with the student’s name that recognizes his or her gift to the library. While donations are always appreciated, some donations may be politely declined or, if the title is duplicate or not age appropriate, may be donated to another classroom or book exchange program.